This week I began a word search revision. Huh? You say. What use is that? Well… In my small collection of revision books there are several different words that the authors say are usually unnecessary or overused and if you removed them from your text it would make everything brilliant. The problem is that not every single usage can be removed and most times when you do decide to remove it you have to alter the text to make it work again. So I go through the entire manuscript doing a word search for that particular word, take it out as many times as I can and leave in what works. This is tedious but apparently will make the story stronger.
But despite the illustrious views of the authors of my revision books, I put my foot down at doing a search for the word “was” it was just too much.
All in all I completed successful word searches this week for:
Unfortunately I still have to do searches next week for eight more words. But I shall go on.